This chapter helps you with your first steps. You are provided an overview of the controls of the Fabasoft Xtechwriter and the user management.
After purchasing the Fabasoft Xtechwriter, the Fabasoft Cloud Sales team sends you an e-mail with a registration link for the initial registration. Enter your registration data and log into the Fabasoft Cloud.
Over the course of your first log-in, the welcome screen may display hints regarding certain data that needs to be completed.
Such data may be:
- entering a person that is to be contacted in case of privacy violations (privacy officer)
- entering important contact data of the organization
- defining of a compliance manager
- installing the Fabasoft Cloud Client
Further information can be found in chapter “Fabasoft Cloud Client”.
Click the link in the welcome screen to perform the corresponding action.
Note: The welcome screen is only displayed when there are notifications for you.
The following chapters provide help for the operation of Fabasoft Cloud Web Client
The Web Client
This chapter familiarizes you with the structure of the Fabasoft Cloud Web Client.
The web client is divided into the following areas:
- home (starting page)
- top bar
- tool area
- title bar
- menu bar (hidden by default)
- content area
The dashboard concept of the home area allows you to show or hide widgets, change their size and move them.
In the top bar, your organization logo is displayed on the left and on the right, you can find the account menu (your user name), the data locations menu, the support button, the logout button, the quick access button, the home button and the search field.
The tool area is available in all widgets, but not directly on “Home”.
The context-independent tools “Tree View” and “Favorites” can be opened and closed via a quick selection. The “Actions” are always displayed. Depending on the context, different actions are provided.
Up to three tool areas can be displayed next to each other (e.g. “Tree View”, “Actions” and “Authorize Team”). The tree view can be resized to be able to read even longer entries conveniently.
Here you can find your Teamroom and folder hierarchy in a tree view, which allows for fast navigation.
You can add frequently used objects (e.g. Teamrooms or documents) to your favorites. To do so, navigate in the desired object. In the “Favorites” tool, the object is offered to be added.
In the “Actions” tool area, you find important actions that are relevant in the current context.
In the title bar, you will find the breadcrumbs of the currently opened hierarchy. If you navigate in a widget, all other widgets of the same level are displayed as tabs.
In the content area, the content of the current object is displayed. This may be, for example, the contents of a folder or the preview of a document. The top level is referred to as “Home”.
The following basic options are available:
- Left-click the desired button to perform the corresponding action.
- The tool ”Actions“ contains the most important actions for the current context. The actions relate to the object displayed in the content area. If, for example, you are located in an Xtech document you can open and edit the document via the action “Edit”.
- The context menu of an element can be opened via a right-click. Usually, the context menu offers actions that are also available in the tools as well as actions that are less frequently required.
- Context menu of objects
Perform a right-click onto an object in the content area. The context menu of said objects is then opened.
- Context menu in the title bar
Perform a right-click onto the title bar. The context menu of the object currently displayed in the content area is opened.
- Background context menu
When located in a Teamroom or a folder, perform a right-click in an empty section of the content area. The context menu contains actions that are relevant to working with lists (for example creating an object in the list).
- In order to select entries in a list, click the checkboxes of the corresponding entries. This allows you to perform a content menu action for several objects, for example.
Fabasoft Cloud Client
Installing the native Fabasoft Cloud Client is strongly recommended for efficient work. The Fabasoft Cloud Client is available for Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS and Ubuntu.
You can start the installation process via the web browser status (account menu (your user name) > “Status” > “Web Browser Status”). If your organization’s guidelines do not allow installing on your device, please seek help from your IT department.
Further information can be found in the white paper ”Fabasoft Cloud Client”.
In order to efficiently manage and use the Fabasoft Xtechwriter, at least three teams are necessary. These teams allow for role-based management of access rights.
- Xtechwriter Administrators
Members of this team are meant to edit the Xtechwriter configuration (in general: the managing editors). They should be given full control in shelves as well.
- Xtechwriter Users
Members of this team are meant to use Fabasoft Xtechwriter (in general: editorial staff)
- Xtechwriter Users (external)
Members of this team are meant to have access to the external areas assigned to them.
Initially, there is one member in a cloud organization (the owner). As a start, you should create at least three users (for the roles “App Administrator”, “App User”, and “App User (External)”.
Note: In general, user data is imported. In a pilot phase, however, you may create the users manually.
To create a user, follow these steps:
- Navigate into your organization via “Home” and then into the widget “Membership”.
- Click the ”Add Members“ action.
- Into the User (E-Mail Address) field, enter the e-mail address of the user.
- In the drop-down menu, click “Invite new user”.
- Enter the First Name and the Surname, then click “Create“.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 in order to add several members simultaneously.
- Click the “Add“ button.
- Assign the full access edition to the users and click “Assign”.
- Click “Invite“ in order to confirm the membership via e-mail to each member.
The newly added members can initially register via the e-mail invitation.
To create teams for the role-based management of access rights, follow these steps:
- In your organization, navigate into the “Membership” widget and then into the “Teams” widget.
- Click the ”Create Team“ action.
- In the Name field, enter the value “Xtechwriter Administrators“ and click “Create”.
- Navigate into the newly created team and click the “Add Team Members” action.
- In the User field, select the desired members.
Note: In a pilot phase, only add the designated users. A list of all available members can be displayed by typing an asterisk (*) and the enter key. Then select the desired user by clicking on them.
- Click the “Add“ button.
Repeat the process to create the teams “Xtechwriter Users“ and “Xtechwriter Users (External)”.
In order to give access rights to the teams in the Xtechwriter configuration, follow these steps:
- Navigate into the Xtechwriter configuration by clicking the Xtechwriter dashboard on “Home”, then click “Switch to Configuration”.
- Click the “Team“ action.
- Click the plus symbol next to the “App Administrator” role to open the search field.
- Enter “Xtechwriter Administrators“ and press the enter key to search for the previously created team.
- In the drop-down menu, click the “Xtechwriter Administrators“ team.
Note: If you accidentally authorize the wrong team, right-click said team to remove it by clicking “Remove”.
- Repeat the process for the roles “App User“ and “App User (External)”.
- In the “Xtechwriter Administrator“ role, remove automatically set organization owner (“Remove” context menu command) in order to guarantee consistently role-based authorization.
Authorized members find the dashboard “Fabasoft Xtechwriter“ on “Home“. If roles are assigned while the affected users are logged in, they need to reload the page (F5 key) in order to find the dashboard.
When the pilot phase has run out, you can create additional Xtechwriter user teams (if necessary) to authorize various users in shelves and external areas.