Fabasoft Cloud 2017 April Release
Find out more about new features and improvements in the Fabasoft Cloud 2017 April Release.
Fabasoft Secomo in the Fabasoft Cloud
In addition to the proven possibility to operate a Fabasoft Secomo appliance in your own data center, Fabasoft Secomo is now also available as a service in the Fabasoft Cloud.
Fabasoft Secomo as a Service is part of the Fabasoft Cloud Enterprise Edition. In order that your organization members are able to use the end-to-end encryption, it must be activated beforehand. To do so, navigate in your organization in the “Advanced Settings” and execute the “Configure Encryption” action.
If your organization is configured to use client certificates, you can specify that client certificates must be used to authenticate to the key server.
Encrypting Documents in Teamrooms
When creating Teamrooms, you can specify whether to encrypt the documents in the Teamroom. You can also enable or disable the encryption afterwards in the team tool using the “Security Settings” action.
Cooperation With Contacts Without Fabasoft Secomo
Encryption is now also available when you work with contacts that do not have their own Fabasoft Secomo. To do so, add the respective contacts to an external organization, and then run the context menu command “Configure Encryption” on the external organization. This allows you to add the contacts of the external organization to encrypted Teamrooms.
Note: Encrypted Teamrooms are restricted to organizations or external organizations. You can adjust the restriction in the team tool using the “Security Settings” action (Restrict Team Members to These Organizations field).
Export Audit Log
To trace the encryption operations, you can export an audit log. To do so, navigate to the appropriate organization or external organization and run the context menu command “Advanced Settings” > “Configure Encryption”. Use the “Export Audit Log” button to save the audit log as a CSV file in the “Downloads” folder (for example, C:\Users\<username>\Downloads).
Documents are encrypted according to state-of-the-art methods, and digitally signed. Encryption combines an asymmetric encryption (RSA-4096) with a symmetric encryption (AES-256). In addition, a digital signature (SHA-512, RSA-4096) is attached to the documents to allow for the traceability of the encrypted documents’ authenticity.
The increased key length of 4096 bits (instead of 2048 bits) and hash length of 512 bits (instead of 256 bits) make your data even better protected.
Integration in Microsoft Word
The advanced integration in Microsoft Word gives you the following options.
Note: If necessary, ensure that the COM add-ins “Fabasoft Cloud” and “Fabasoft Cloud Word Extension” are active in Microsoft Word (“File” tab > “Options” > “Add-ins”).
You can perform actions in the Fabasoft Cloud directly from Microsoft Word. The “Fabasoft Cloud” tab In Microsoft Word offers the corresponding actions depending on the context.
You can select the document in the Fabasoft Cloud and open it in Microsoft Word.
If the current document was not opened via the Fabasoft Cloud, it can be uploaded to the Fabasoft Cloud. You can select a location in the Fabasoft Cloud and continue processing directly without having to close the document.
Note: The button is only available when the document has been opened via a file. Unsaved changes are stored in the Fabasoft Cloud; the original document is not changed.
- Copy Link
You can put a link to the document in the Fabasoft Cloud in the clipboard.
- Create Public Link
You can create a public link to the document. Users can access public links without logging in to the Fabasoft Cloud.
- Send Link
You can create an e-mail draft with a link to the document in the Fabasoft Cloud.
You can change the name of the document in the Fabasoft Cloud.
- Release Version
You can create a version of the document in the Fabasoft Cloud and provide it as a release.
Note: Unsaved changes are saved automatically before the version is created.
You can edit the properties of the document in the Fabasoft Cloud.
- Show in Web
Shows the document in the Fabasoft Cloud Web Client.
Note: In Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel, the “Open” and “Upload” buttons are available on the Fabasoft Cloud tab.
Forms and Fields
When you add a user-defined form to a Word document, you can insert your defined properties as updatable and modifiable fields (depending on the property type) in the Word document. The “Fabasoft Cloud” section is available in Microsoft Word on the “Insert” tab. The properties can be inserted via the menu item “Field” > “...” > property name.
The following property types can be edited in the Word document:
- String (also multi-line)
- Date and time
The other property types are displayed as read-only fields.
- When saving the content, the fields in the PDF view are updated automatically, regardless of whether the PDF view is generated on the server or on the client.
- On the “Content” tab, in the Update PDF Content on Metadata Change field you can define whether the PDF view is newly generated on the server when the metadata of the object gets changed. This way, fields that refer to the metadata of the document are displayed with current values.
You have the option that the PDF view of Word documents is generated locally using Microsoft Word. This has the advantage that the mapping between the Word document and the PDF document is much better than converting the PDF document with LibreOffice on the cloud server.
In addition, local generation allows PDF views of documents that are encrypted with Fabasoft Secomo (full end-to-end encryption is ensured). The PDF views are transferred to the server encrypted as the documents themselves, and can only be decrypted by users who are authorized in the encrypted Teamroom.
Whether you want to generate the PDF view on the workstation or on the cloud server can be defined in the options of the Fabasoft Cloud Client. To do so, open the context menu of the Fabasoft Cloud Client notification symbol and click “Options”. On the “Content” tab, you can set the following:
- Generate PDF Preview on the Workstation
- Generate PDF Preview on the Workstation
- Generate Thumbnails on the Workstation
Note: This functionality is currently deactivated.
Fabasoft Cloud Client on Ubuntu
The Fabasoft Cloud Client is now also available on Ubuntu. Like on other operating systems you can now conveniently make settings via the notification symbol and display the recently used documents. In addition you can use the encryption with Fabasoft Secomo also on Ubuntu.
The use of the Fabasoft Cloud Client requires Ubuntu 16.10 (x64) with Mozilla Firefox (x64) version 52.0 or higher. Make sure that the prerequisite packages libgnomevfs2-0 and libgnomevfs2-common are installed before installing the Fabasoft Cloud Client.
Organizational Structure and Workflow
The organizational structure is used for the hierarchical mapping of organizational units and positions of your organization. Therefore the organizational structure also forms the basis for the business processes of an organization.
As owner, co-owner, administrator or entitled user you can find the organizational structure in the organization under “Membership” > “Organizational Structure”.
- Organizational Unit
An organizational unit summarizes one or more positions and can contain subordinate organizational units. The hierarchy of organizational units is defined on the one hand by the tree structure of the organizational structure and on the other hand by the assigned hierarchy levels (e.g. business unit, division, team).
Organizational units can be used for granting rights in Teamrooms or also for the definition of process participants in the workflow.
Positions are assigned to organizational units and are used to define the jobs in your organization. A concrete contact can be assigned to a position.
There are two types of positions: “Head” and “Staff Member”. For determining process participants in the workflow, the position marked as “primary” is considered.
Organization administrators or users who are entitled via the “Manage Organizational Structure” policy are responsible for maintaining the organizational units and positions (for example, assigning a contact to a position).
Note: The “Organizational Units” used for informal structuring are still available under the name “Team”.
Utilizing the Organizational Structure for Determining the Process Participants
You can use the organizational structure in the workflow to determine the process participants. Thus, for example, workflows for material requisitions or leave requests can be easily implemented. The supervisor of the applicant can only be determined if the organizational structure is known. The employees of the purchasing department are also maintained in the organizational structure.
To determine the process participant or process participants, define the following:
- Abstract Participant
Select “Role by Property of the Object”.
Select a property that contains a contact or organizational unit. If the property contains a list of contacts or organizational units, the activity must be defined as multi-instance.
- If it is a contact, the primary position is determined and thus the assigned organizational unit.
- If it is an organizational unit, this organizational unit is used.
Select the position type (staff member or head) that must be assigned to the primary position of the process participant to be determined.
- Organizational Unit Type
Optionally, select a level that must be assigned to the organizational unit of the process participant to be determined. If the organizational unit determined by the property does not have the required level, the organizational unit with the necessary level is determined via the organizational unit hierarchy.
The identified process participants receive the defined activity in the worklist.
Activities and Worklist
The process participants can process the assigned activities in the worklist. The Android or iOS app “Fabasoft Cloud Worklist” is available for mobile use of the workflow. In particular, the new PDF overviews, which have been optimized for the form factor of mobile devices, enable simple and efficient work on the move.
The following new features will help you in your daily work.
- The layout of the PDF overviews has been completely revised and now corresponds to the web client property dialog. In the Fabasoft Cloud Apps, the PDF overviews are optimized for the form factor of mobile devices. Of course, the accessibility of PDF documents was taken into account.
- The highlight color of objects is now displayed in all list views. You can set the highlight color using the context menu. If you are dependent on assistive technologies, you can get a textual label by choosing “Basic Settings” > “Accessibility” tab > Show Alternative Text for Highlighted Fields. In the detail view, you can add the “Highlighting Color” column.
- In order to support keyboard users, the focus frame is activated as soon as any navigation button is pressed.
- If you are in the worklist and navigate to the affected objects, the workflow context is preserved even if you use the back button of the web browser. Work items are displayed directly and no longer in a sub-menu.
- In order to make it clear that the owner or co-owner of an organization has all rights to the Teamrooms of the organization, the organization is displayed in the team tool under “Full Control”. When you expand the organization, you see the actual owner and co-owners.
- Remarks can now also be added to objects via the context menu command “Tools” > “Remarks”. Users with an edition that allows only read access can still upload attachments when creating remarks.
- In the detail view up to 50 columns can be added (instead of 25).
- When you execute the “Clipboard” > “Data Table” > “Copy” menu command and some lines are selected only those lines will be copied to the clipboard. The order in which the lines were selected is taken into account.
- When creating user-defined forms, you can drag and drop fields from one tab to another. Alternatively, you can use the context menu command “Move”.
- Visio documents can now be opened read-only in Microsoft Office Online.
- The new object class „CAD Drawing“ is provided for following file types: dwg, dwf, dxf, CATDrawing, CATPart, CATProduct.
- The object class “Content (Unknown Type)” has been renamed to “Content”.
The following improvements help you manage your organization.
- As an owner, co-owner or administrator of an organization, you can view the account activities of organization members and you can also download the data as a CSV file. The “Show Account Activities” context menu command is available for organizations, teams, external organizations, members and external members (if managed by you). The data is exported via the “Export Account Activities as CSV File” button.
- As an owner, co-owner or administrator of an organization, you can use the “Change Membership” context menu command to convert external members to members and vice versa.
When adding new contacts in Teamrooms, the contacts automatically become members when an organization's e-mail domain matches the e-mail domain of the contact.
- To ensure traceability in organizational management, the corresponding changes are logged (for example, member added or organizational role assigned). To view the events, navigate to your organization and click the “Show New Events” action.
Via the time travel you can access the versions, which were created due to the changes.
- Inboxes can be defined as standard Teamrooms, too.
- Ubuntu (x86) is no longer supported, Ubuntu (x64) can be used instead.
- The outdated encryption algorithm 3DES is no longer supported for the transport layer (from Fabasoft Cloud 2017 June Release).